As a Mentor in the FOCUS program, I agree to the following:
- I am prepared to participate in the FOCUS mentor training as described in the Mentor Application.
- I am prepared to make a commitment of at least 12 months to this match.
- I am prepared to make a time commitment of 2-3 hours per week for mentee visits.
- If I am able, I will attend hearings and spend more time with my mentee at critical times.
- I commit not to act either as a therapist or religious counselor, but to refer clients to others for these needs, understanding that this is not FOCUS’ purview. I will sign and respect the FOCUS Client Confidentiality Agreement.
- I agree to the following responsibilities:
• Help the offender make the transition back into society.
• Protect the well-being of the offender.
• Identify resources available to the offender.
• Make contact with all involved agencies representatives, if appropriate.
• Act as a consistent, caring reference point.
- I will submit a Weekly Mentor Report after each visit and a bimonthly Life Skills Matrix survey (both on an internet site). I am prepared to communicate on a regular basis with my Mentor Advisor and FOCUS staff in person, by phone or by email, as the situation requires.
- I am prepared to share all information in the case with FOCUS. I understand that my reports are the property of FOCUS and that the confidentiality of the mentee and myself will be strictly kept.
- ( add points as in #6) I commit to upholding the safety of myself and FOCUS by:
• refraining from any physical contact with the client which could be open to misinterpretation (pat on arm or back, hand shake permitted).
• not sharing alcohol or drugs with the client.
• not sharing my last name or any personal information with my mentee.
• not sharing any personal or contact information about the FOCUS office and staff, with the exclusion that at certain times you may have to give out the office phone number.
- I will abide by all the FOCUS, Jail and Probation Department guidelines.
I have read and agree to the above conditions and procedures.
Mentor signature: __________________ Date __________________
Printed name: __________________
Phone: hm __________________ wk __________________