Frequently Asked Questions
What safety measures does FOCUS use to protect its mentors?
- Mentors are introduced by first name only, and your personal information is never revealed.
- When clients are released from jail each mentor is provided with a FOCUS cell phone so that their client can contact them without breaching personal identity security.
Is there an age requirement to be a mentor?
- Yes, you must be at least 25 years old.
Do I need training to be a mentor?
- Yes. There is an extensive training program.
How long would I mentor for?
- Typically, mentoring lasts 1 year.
What if the relationship doesn’t work out? The chemistry is off.
- As this is a volunteer program, either mentor or client or both can determine the relationship should end. There is a simple process.
How do I choose a client?
- Clients are assigned as requests are received. We practice same gender mentoring.